The town of Monterey was settled in the 1740s by a group of Proprietors from Watertown, MA. While known as the Town of Tyringham from 1761 to 1847, the town was given the name Monterey when it split from the town of Tyringham. Losing out to the Midwest in the business of cheesemaking and to cities in the papermaking and tanning business, Monterey turned to its natural environment. From the late 1800s, people in search of peaceful and recuperative surroundings began prolonged visits at various times of the year. It became a popular resort town with two of the area’s most beautiful lakes: Lake Buel and Lake Garfield. The town has retained its rural character and has a large second home community. With a population of 1017, Monterey is part of the Southern Berkshire Regional School District.