The land which became Tyringham and Monterey was first settled in 1735. By 1837, Tyringham farmers had incorporated sheep into their economy and owned 1678 Merino sheep as well as 598 sheep of other breeds, and produced more than 6500 pounds of wool. The biggest business, a paper mill, employed seven men and nineteen women and made fifty tons of paper valued at $21,000. Tyringham students are sent to Lee Public Schools: Lee Elementary School serves students from pre-kindergarten through sixth grades, and the Lee Middle and High School serves students from seventh through twelfth grades. Additionally, neighboring Lee is home to Saint Mary’s School, a parochial school which serves students through eighth grade.